Sunday, June 5, 2011

welcome home and other ramblings

So it looks like the Rhodes family is officially movin' south.  Maybe it was just the inspiration of a song by the great KoL (note sarcasm), or maybe it's because of the times.

Dad just landed a job at a construction company in South Carolina, near Greenville (pronounced greenvull).  And Lee is moving down with Kim and I in Asheville.  This is a pretty huge change for all involved, granted Kim and I are pretty much settled in and all, but it's still a big deal.

Thoughts.

My thoughts on this whole southern migration thing are only positive.  Things have been so good for Kim and I down here.  The people in the south for the most part are quite a bit nicer when first meeting you.  People in the north are very kind, but often cold, distant, and busy when passing someone by or meeting someone for the first time.  Northerners are cool, they (I mean we) might just be a bit too hurried and preoccupied.  Asheville is also a bit of an outdoor mecca.  The cycling here is fantastic, quiet mountain roads abound.  The hiking is gorgeous, plenty of streams and mountain tops to explore.  Also I can completely fulfill my dreams of living a hipster life to the max... If only my hair wasn't the limiting factor to my hipness.

The negatives...
Life is great down here in hipsterdom, but believe it or not there are some things I don't like.  The biggest problem is the distance from family and friends back home in Ohio.  Of course, we knew this would be an issue and it's one we are willing to deal with.  I'm not sure why people are willing to sacrifice things like this, I don't think we are sacrificing friends, but in some ways that's what it feels like.  Families and relationships are what makes adulthood so complicated.  The other stuff (i.e. bills, jobs, taking care of a home, etc) is really just fluff in comparison.  Adults never really cover the relationship and family thing; they tell you to get good grades, be a good person, and find a good job.  But really that's not what it comes down to.  Life really seems to be about finding the correct balance, some how meeting your expectations and dreams for life, but still satisfying the needs of family and friends. I guess that is why marriage is so great, you have a sidekick and a best friend that will always be at your side.  The two of you are free to dream together and fulfill God's promises for the two of you, because now the two of you are one.  

The following is not an apology, simply a statement.  The above definitely is a rambling, or even a stream of thought, I would love to try an polish, dive deeper into it.  For now though, it's all of got.  And since this isn't a paper for Kandel or Baxter, it's more than enough.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for the southern migration! I'd like to point out that I paved the way for all this...
    It was awesome to see you guys this weekend!

    ReplyDelete