Friday, June 24, 2011

short thoughts, short time, short guy

real quick, because i'm a bit short on time.

i've been doing a lot of thinking lately.  life is such a conundrum sometimes, as i was running from one end of the floor at work to the other; for this patient's whatever and that patient's whatnot i caught myself thinking about how we all live in such a rat race.   we all are seemingly caught up in getting to the next event, getting off to the next weekend, or days off, or vacation, or holiday, or whatever.  i myself am very guilty of this.  my train of thought usually is thinking about the next cool whatnot that kim and i  have planned.  right now i'm pretty pumped to be heading home to ohio for a few days.  the problem with all of this is we keep looking forward to the next event and then the next event and so on until we end up old and dead, or old and out of our minds, or young and dying, or young and dead.  morbid, right?   incredibly morbid, but being in the healthcare field really puts shit  in perspective.  i mean, i take care of so many patients that have really gotten the shaft, yet to me it's just a job, just a paycheck, just another spin on the hamster wheel to pay the man.

so take a minute and get it all in perspective, take time to enjoy the now, the right now, the next 5 minutes.  for me its 8 am, and i'll be in bed within the next half hour and sleep the day away and get up and go to work.  right now all that's on my mind is getting through this next shift and then heading home, but why not enjoy the right now?  the freedom of plunking down in front of my computer and spewing my thoughts in this wonderful world where i can do that.  enjoy the fact that my wife came and picked me up from work because it was pouring down rain and i rode my bike and she kicks ass.  that we are both blessed with good health and a wonderful marriage.

i really hate how this sounds, it's like one of those silly emails telling you to count your blessings, but really you're just counting through the endless work/school/whatever emails you need to delete to get through the day.  it really is like one of those emails, but this time to me it's much more, count the good things in life.

i get to go home to ohio and visit my awesome family.  send out a fb message right before the weekend and tell the guys we need to go get a beer.  a lot of people don't even have those kind of opportunities.  so thanks to all those people out there who make this stuff possible, all the good friends who make my life amazing.

thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment